Friday, January 18, 2013

Crock Pot Cream Cheese Chicken with a Mexican Flare

Pre-cooked
There are literally hundreds (or more) recipes for crock pot chicken with cream cheese. This is just one of the variations. I read several recipes and made my own adaptations.

You'll need:

2.5 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 can diced tomatoes with green chili's
8-10 oz. chunky, medium, Pace Picante sauce
taco seasoning
1 yellow onion
2 cans black beans
2 cups cream cheese

the finished product
Sprinkle taco seasoning on both sides of chicken. Place chicken in crock pot. Rinse and drain both cans of black beans, pour on top of chicken. Pour diced tomatoes and Pace on top of the black beans. Dice up onion, mix into the bean/tomato mixture. Cook on low for 4.5 hours. Then add the cream cheese. Allow to cook an hour or two longer. Serve with rice and or tortilla's.

We found the mixture was a bit too runny to use the end result as burrito filling. We ate ours with Spanish rice and flour tortilla's and had extra salsa and shredded cheddar cheese for toppings for those who desired it. It was delicious! I will be making this again, no question.

If you really prefer mild flavors I'd recommend not using the medium Pace and either using their mild sauce or another can of diced tomatoes. I've seen this basic recipe where people added corn (not my cup of tea, I don't want any Tex in my Mex) and olives. Feel free to be creative and add whatever you think would blend well.

No comments: